Friday, May 4, 2012

Losing To Gain

So when you are dealing with a International Adoption there are a lot of crazy rules and criteria - most of which I'm not sure I fully understand.  But those countries have the kids - so they get to make the rules - I guess.  Most of the criteria is not a big deal but there is one health stipulation for the Philippines that is going to be a challenge.  One of their requirements is that the parents must have a BMI less than 35 - each.  Brian, of course - is in good shape but I'm in real trouble.  Anyone that has seen me in recent years can probably guess that I am currently not meeting that requirement.  As much as it pains me to say, my BMI is sitting at 40.2.  That's a lot of weight for this 5 foot, 2 inch frame.  So unless I can grow 5 inches, I need to reduce my weight to at least 190.  Currently that would be a 30 pound lose.  Not impossible but it's not going to be easy.

So 2 1/2 weeks ago when we started this adoption journey I was weighing in at 227.6.  This morning I weighed in at 220.2.  So progress is being made but it is really hard.  I am such an emotional eater.  Food is my comfort of choice - M&M's, cookies, brownies, chips, etc.  If it's junk, it's high on my list of "go to" foods.  I eat when I'm bored, I eat when I'm trying to solve work problems, I eat when I need a little break from work, I eat when I get upset, I eat when I get stressed.  Basically I tend to visit the kitchen a lot as evidenced by the extra 50+ pounds I have put on in just the last 5 years. 

What about exercise?  Work has been in a lay off mode for the past 3-4 years so I have felt like I have needed to be at my desk 24/7.  I've been working on several conversions for the past 2 years that require a lot of lunch time meetings and sometimes late hours.  So, when I do get a few minutes of down time - hitting the gym in our basement is just not the top of my priority list.  I'm tired, I just want to veg on the couch with my comfort food.  It's a terrible cycle of my own making all wrapped up in my laziness and excuses.

What can a girl like me do?  I have got to change my ways or we may miss the wonderful child that God has waiting for us.  That change started on 4/17 when I started keeping a journal of my food & exercise.  I also started on 4/21 on Body by Vi .  It's a meal replacement shake program - similar to Slim Fast and many other programs.  I'm doing 2 shakes a day (breakfast & lunch) with a small dinner.  I also must get back to regular exercise - making it a priority.  It's not going to be easy and I really, really, really have to fight off the urge to run to the kitchen for comfort junk.  There are still going to be bad days but I have to not dwell on them and just work harder. 

The reward will be so worth the pain.  Not only will I reduce my weight so that I can pass the BMI requirement to be able to bring home our child but I am going to get healthy for Brian & the boys.  Plus I just might like myself again and gain that confidence that I lost many years ago when the pounds started to pack on .  Looks like a win, win for everyone!!!  The road is going to be hard and daily I will be crying out to God for his help.  This is a God size task that is only going to be accomplish with God's intervention.  I know that with God on my side, there is nothing that I cannot accomplish and nothing that I cannot overcome.

I guess this means we are on 2 journey's.  We have our adoption journey and a weight loss journey.  Soon these two paths are going to cross and after that our lives are going to be changed forever - one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment